Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Long Time Coming...the Post, Not the Baby. The Birth of Kenlee.

This birth wasn't even supposed to be mine. Boy, was I shocked to get a call from Ann at 4 o'clock in the morning asking me to come to the birth center. My friend and fellow birth photographer, Keri, had come down with a horrific stomach virus and was at home ... well ... being sick.

In my groggy haze I advise Ann, the midwife with 20 years of experience, to "check her" (the mom) when she got to the birth center and then call me back to let me know how long before I should come. Um...no. Ann let's me know that the time is NOW and I need to get moving. I'm also fairly certain if she could have, she might have put her hand through the phone to give me a good smack, as well! Ha!

So, I roll out of bed, throw on some clothes, grab the baby and my camera and head out the door into a whopper of a thunderstorm. Nothing like a surprise birth AND a vicious storm to wake you up while driving down the freeway! HA!

After I arrived and began taking pictures, all that kept crossing my mind was, "I've never met this woman before and how strange is it that I'm here taking her birth pictures?". But it was all good! Amanda was an amazing woman during her fast labor and boy was I ever shocked to learn, after the birth, that she was a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section). I would have never known it! She did terrific! And for not knowing them before that morning, I was ever SO happy to be a part of their special moment. She and her husband, Chad were just wonderful people!

Here's a little smattering of the birth of sweet baby Kenlee (isn't that name adorable?!?)...

Gundersen_0025

Gundersen_0038

Gundersen_0040

This baby girl was already crying before she was completely out! So cute!

Gundersen_0052

I just love those first special moments..

Gundersen_0064

Gundersen_0117

Gundersen_0173

Welcome to the world sweet baby Kenlee! It was nice to meet you.

3 comments:

  1. Ah!! You did a fabulous job on this birth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these pictures. It must be challenging to position yourself just right as a birth photographer, but you did an EXCELLENT job! I love the last picture, it is so very cute.

    ReplyDelete